Guy has been involved in most of the Cayman Islands’ highest profile disputes, liquidations and restructurings since moving to the jurisdiction in 2005. He has acted for financial institutions, investment funds, creditors, shareholders, provisional and official liquidators, directors, managers and other professional service providers in relation to the restructuring and liquidation of numerous Cayman Islands companies and partnerships. He also has a busy general litigation practice involving widely varying commercial contexts and structures, but with a particular emphasis on shareholder and investment fund disputes.
Notable recent instructions include:
- Advising the joint provisional liquidators of Luckin Coffee Inc. in connection with the restructuring of approximately US$1bn of debt, following a widely publicized fraud and delisting,
- Acting for the joint provisional and official liquidators of ABRAAJ Investment Management Limited, the investment manager of the Abraaj group. Prior to its collapse in 2018, Abraaj had been the largest private equity firm operating in emerging markets, with some 40 underlying funds, over 600 investors, and $14bn of AUM at its peak,
- Defending a very substantial investment fund against winding up proceedings brought on the just and equitable ground,
- Advising the Liquidation Committee of SAAD Investments Company Limited, a liquidation involving the longest trial in Cayman Iegal history, and
- Acting for dissenter groups against 58.Com Inc. and Nord Anglia Education, Inc. in the two largest Cayman Islands fair value appraisal proceedings arising from take private transactions.