Guy ManningPartner, Head of Litigation, Insolvency & Restructuring
Guy is a partner and head of our Litigation, Insolvency & Restructuring Group. He joined Campbells in 2005, having previously practised in London with a leading international firm. In his spare time Guy is a keen adventurer. He has climbed the Seven Summits (the highest mountain on each continent), skied to the South Pole and cycled across the United States.
“Guy Manning has substantial experience handling high-value cases, in particular liquidations and disputes arising from M&A transactions. Sources particularly praise his technical skills”.
– Chambers and Partners, 2020
“Guy Manning is a calm and thoughtful leader, who gives clear strategic guidance”.
– Legal 500, 2020
Qualifications and Admissions:
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales, 1999 (non-practising)
- Attorney at Law Cayman Islands, 2005
- Solicitor British Virgin Islands, 2011 (non-practising)
Areas of Practice and Expertise:
Guy has acted for creditors, shareholders, provisional and official liquidators, directors, managers and other professional service providers in relation to the restructuring and liquidation of numerous Cayman Islands companies and other entities. Guy also has a busy general litigation practice involving widely varying commercial contexts and structures, but with a particular emphasis on shareholder and investment fund disputes. He has been involved in most of the jurisdiction’s highest profile disputes, liquidations and restructurings over the last decade.
Notable recent instructions include:
- acting for the joint provisional liquidators of ABRAAJ Investment Management Limited, the investment manager of the Abraaj group. Prior to its highly publicized collapse in 2018, Abraaj had been the largest private equity firm operating in emerging markets, with some 40 underlying funds, over 600 investors, and $14bn of AUM at its peak,
- advising the Liquidation Committee of SAAD Investments Company Limited, a liquidation involving the longest trial in Cayman Iegal history,
- acting for a dissenter group against Nord Anglia Education, Inc. in the largest ever Cayman Islands fair value appraisal proceedings arising from a take private transaction, and
- advising LDK Solar CO., Ltd and its provisional liquidators in connection with the cross border restructuring of USD$700 million of offshore debt across the LDK group.
Guy is ranked by all the major legal directories. He has given expert evidence of Cayman Islands law to various foreign courts and is a regular speaker at international insolvency and fund conferences.
Recognition and Awards:
Guy has been recognised as a leading lawyer in the inaugural 2020 edition of LawDragon 500’s Global Restructuring & Insolvency guide. Chambers and Partners report that Guy has “substantial experience handling high-value cases, in particular liquidations and disputes arising from M&A transactions” (2020); is “an excellent technical lawyer who writes very well, is practically minded and is terrific to work with (2019); “a formidable opponent and smart man” and “his knowledge of Cayman insolvency law and restructuring matters is excellent and he really knows his way around those cases” (2018); “a very bright man who gives useful, fit-for-purpose advice that’s commercially focused,” is widely regarded as “one of the nicest, most personable people in Cayman – a delight to deal with” (2017); “thinks carefully about the case and offers practical, commercial advice to help us get the best outcome” (2016); is “a very considered and technical lawyer; he accommodates innovative thinking and applies the law commercially” (2015), and is “a stupendously clever man… who has quickly established an impressive reputation in the Cayman Islands” (2014).
The International Who’s Who Legal names Guy as a leading Insolvency & Restructuring and Asset Recovery lawyer in Cayman, as well as a Global Elite Thought Leader for the Americas and the Caribbean region. Guy is ranked as a Leading Individual Dispute Resolution Lawyer by Legal 500.
Associations and Clubs:
- Cayman Islands Law Society