Shaun FolppManaging Partner, Hong Kong
Shaun is a Partner in our Litigation, Insolvency & Restructuring Group and Managing Partner of our Hong Kong Office. He has extensive experience acting both for and against insolvency practitioners in all forms of external administrations, as well as acting for parties involved in general commercial, financial services and trust disputes, and has been involved in many of the largest offshore disputes to come before the courts of the BVI and Cayman Islands in recent history.
He also has considerable experience advising on corporate governance matters, including in relation to the duties owed by directors and general partners, in addition advising more generally on the proper operation of investment funds and other offshore structures. Prior to relocating to Hong Kong in 2015, Shaun spent nine years practising in the Cayman Islands and in the British Virgin Islands and is one of only a few offshore practitioners in Hong Kong to have spent significant time living and working in each jurisdiction.
Shaun has been named a ‘leading lawyer’ in IFLR for five consecutive years and is ranked in all the major legal directories such as Chambers & Partners, Legal 500 and Who’s Who Legal, and is regularly retained to provide expert evidence in proceedings before foreign courts and tribunals.
Shaun Folpp “is superb to deal with and is now one of the go-to lawyers in Hong Kong“.
– Chambers and Partners Asia-Pacific 2020
“Shaun Folpp heads the litigation and restructuring and insolvency practice in Asia. He possesses significant experience in insolvency matters as well as general commercial litigation”.
– Chambers Global, 2019
QUALIFICATIONS AND ADMISSIONS
- Registered Foreign Lawyer, Hong Kong (2015)
- Admitted in the British Virgin Islands (2012)
- Admitted in the Cayman Islands (2008)
- Admitted in England and Wales (2007, currently non-practising)
- Admitted in New South Wales and Queensland, Australia (2003, currently non-practising)
PRIOR CAREER HISTORY
- Mourant, Hong Kong and BVI
- Ogier, Cayman Islands
- Court of Appeal, London
- Tucker & Cowen, Brisbane
- The American Bankruptcy Institute
- INSOL International
- Recovery and Insolvency Specialists Association (‘RISA’) in the Cayman Islands and BVI
AREAS OF PRACTICE AND EXPERTISE:
- Shareholder Disputes
- Contractual Disputes
- Distressed Funds
- Claims against Auditors, Investment Managers and Advisors
- Fraud and White Collar Crime
- Claims Against Directors
- Trust Litigation
- Banking Litigation
- Injunctions and Other Stand Alone/ Ancillary Relief
- Disputes Concerning TIEAs and Notices to Produce
- Appointment and Removal of Liquidators and Receivers
- Asset Tracing
- Preference and Other Avoidance Actions
- Schemes of Arrangement and Re-Organisations
- Enforcement of Security
- Advising Liquidators and Receivers Generally
- Advising Creditors and Other Stakeholders Generally
- Cross Border Reorganisations and Parallel Proceedings