Liam is a partner in our Litigation, Insolvency & Restructuring Group where he specialises in cross-border insolvency, restructuring and litigation, with extensive experience in shareholder and investment fund disputes. He joined Campbells in 2015 having previously worked in the British Virgin Islands and London. As part of his practice, Liam advises on both Cayman Islands and BVI law and maintains a practicing certificate in both jurisdictions. Liam has considerable experience of disputes arising out of Hong Kong and the PRC having spent two years practicing in Campbells’ Hong Kong office.
“Liam Falkner is a very smart and strategic lawyer. As with all of the Campbells’ team, he is great to work with and forms part of the team when involved on larger matters.” -Legal 500, 2021
Liam Faulkner is “a go-to choice for Cayman disputes when clients need someone who is both good legally but will also focus on and get into a case, master the facts and help get a result.” – Legal 500, 2020
- Shareholder disputes
- Commercial litigation
- Directors’ duties – acting for and against directors
- Fraud and asset recovery
- Ancillary relief in support of domestic and foreign proceedings
- Investment fund disputes
- Captive insurance disputes
- Acting for general partners, limited partners and investment managers of exempted limited partnerships
- Professional negligence claims – acting for and against auditors, custodians, investment managers, independent directors and other service providers
- Acting for liquidators, provisional liquidators, receivers and inspectors
- Acting for creditors and creditor committees
- Debt restructuring and schemes of arrangement
- Advising the liquidators of ABRAAJ Investment Management Limited, in what has been described as the largest collapse ever of a private equity firm.
- Advising a Cayman domiciled private equity group in a multi-billion dollar ownership dispute involving proceedings in the Cayman Islands, Hong Kong and the PRC.
- Advising the liquidators of two of the largest Madoff feeder funds.
- Acting for the petitioner in just and equitable winding up proceedings of a captive insurance company.
- Admitted in the Cayman Islands (2015)
- Admitted in the British Virgin Islands (2012)
- Admitted in England and Wales (2009, non-practising)
- Forbes Hare, British Virgin Islands (2012-2015)
- Squire Patton Boggs, England & Wales (2007-2012)
- Cayman Islands Law Society
- BVI Bar Association
- Law Society of England & Wales
- Recovery & Insolvency Specialists Association (RISA)
- INSOL International, INSOL Fellow (2017)