Katie is an associate in our Litigation, Insolvency & Restructuring group. She specialises in insolvency, restructuring and commercial litigation. She advises and appears in the Cayman Islands Courts on behalf of provisional and official liquidators, creditors, shareholders, directors, managers and other professional service providers. She joined Campbells in 2021, having previously practised at a leading firm in Auckland, New Zealand.
- Acting for the joint provisional liquidators of Luckin Coffee, Inc., in restructuring considerable debt following a widely publicized fraud and delisting.
- Acting for dissenter groups against 58.Com Inc., one of the largest Cayman Islands “fair value” appraisal proceedings arising from a take private transaction.
- Acting for the joint official liquidations in the wind down of a group with subsidiaries and assets in multiple jurisdictions.
- Acted for a large company in relation to a prejudiced shareholders and breach of directors’ duties claim.
- Obtained urgent freezing orders over assets held in New Zealand, Australia and Fiji in relation to the distribution of a large estate.
- Represented a Samoan chief in a claim against the Government of Samoa for the return of an island.
- Secured extended orders restraining a vexatious litigant from issuing proceedings, being one of the first orders of its kind in New Zealand.
- Represented a government body in a judicial review proceeding relating to a high profile alleged breach of the right to free speech.
- INSOL Foundation Certificate, 2022
- Attorney at Law Cayman Islands, 2021
- University of Auckland (New Zealand), Master of Laws, 2019 – 2020
- New Zealand Law Society Civil Litigation Skills, 2018
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand, 2017
- Institute of Professional Legal Studies qualification, 2017
- University of Otago (New Zealand), Bachelor of Physical Education, Sport and Exercise Science, 2012 – 2018
- University of Otago (New Zealand), Bachelor of Laws, 2012 – 2016
- International Association of Restructuring, Insolvency & Bankruptcy Professionals
- International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation
- New Zealand Law Society
- Campbells authors Cayman Islands chapter, Lexology GTDT - Dispute Resolution 2023.
The chapter highlights foreign judgments and proceedings, updates to the court system, limitation issues, arbitration and enforcements in the jurisdiction.
- GRR Americas Restructuring Review.
The Cayman chapter discusses key aspects of the successful Cayman Islands restructuring regime, including schemes of arrangement, provisional liquidation, statutory moratorium, creditors' meetings, COMI shift and the rule in Gibbs.
- Campbells Contributes to Legal 500's In-House Lawyer Publication.
This chapter discusses duties of Cayman Islands directors, the zone of insolvency, consequences for directors and the potential for restructuring.