Jeremy DurstonSenior Associate
Jeremy is an attorney in our Litigation, Insolvency & Restructuring Group where he specialises in commercial litigation including directors’ duties, regulatory matters and cross-jurisdictional treaty requests, white collar fraud (including internet based or “Cyber-Fraud”) and related internal investigations, and insolvency matters such as advising liquidators on a wide range of issues faced during liquidation proceedings. Jeremy also regularly advises directors, banks, trust companies, insurance companies and other entities on a variety of non-contentious matters.
Notable recent instructions include acting for a bank in relation a $25 million class action suit brought against it in relation to a fraud perpetrated by a third party against investors; advising and acting for a large multi-national insurance company with respect to regulatory issues and judicial review proceedings; advising directors on their liability in relation to a claim brought by a sole investor of a fund which collapsed due to an alleged fraud; advising and acting for a captive insurance company in relation to negligence claims (valuing in excess of $1 million) against its investment manager; advising and acting for a captive insurance company with respect to regulatory inspections, appointment of examiners and related issues; advising directors and auditors on their obligations to produce documents to liquidators pursuant to the Companies Law; acting for a private equity fund in section 238 (appraisal) proceedings.
Jeremy studied in Canada, the United Kingdom and the Cayman Islands before being admitted to the Bar of England and Wales in 2008. He then worked out of a leading set of Chambers in the Northwest of England. During his time in the UK Jeremy obtained extensive advocacy experience in the first instance and appellate courts relating to all manner of cases including commercial disputes, white-collar crime and fraud. Jeremy joined Campbells in 2014.
Qualifications and Admissions
- Royal Roads University, BComm Entrepreneurial Management, 2003
- University of Liverpool, LLB (Hons) First Class, 2007
- BPP Law School, Bar Vocational Course, 2008
- Bar of England and Wales, 2008 (non-practicing)
- Attorney-at-Law, Cayman Islands 2014
Ares of Practice and Expertise
- Directors’ Duties
- Regulatory law;
- White Collar Fraud;
- Judicial Review;
- Pre-emptive remedies including freezing orders and other interim relief;
- Insolvency and restructuring;
Prior Career History
- Exchange Chambers, Liverpool, UK
Professional and Associations
- Restructuring and Insolvency Specialists Association (RISA), Cayman Islands
- American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI)
- Guest lecturer at the Truman Bodden Law School, 2015 to present
- The Honourable Society of the Inner Temple