Harry has expertise managing all facets of dispute resolution starting from the initial instructions through to trial advocacy and enforcement. Before moving to the Cayman Islands, Harry practiced in one of New Zealand’s leading litigation teams where he regularly appeared as lead and junior counsel in the High Court alongside prominent QCs. More recently Harry had been working in London within one of the UK’s largest banks.
As well as being admitted as an Attorney in the Cayman Islands, Harry is also admitted as a Barrister and Solicitor in New Zealand.
Areas of Practice and Expertise:
Harry has acted for directors, shareholders and investors in commercial disputes as well as for both trustees and beneficiaries in the contentious trust space. He has represented clients involved in regulatory investigations and alternative dispute resolution forums including mediation and arbitration.
Recent work includes:
- Being seconded within a leading UK bank as part of a complex remediation project to advise on a range of legal issues including insolvency, debt-enforcement and loss quantification.
- Successfully represented trustees of various Charitable Trusts at trial, including in the Court of Appeal, against the NZ Attorney General and other interest groups.
- Acting as lead associate on litigation arising from the collapse of a tech start-up. This case involved a number of claims relating to insolvency, issuing of securities, financial conduct violations and breaching director’s duties.
- Successfully represented the first insured in New Zealand to receive an award of general damages against an insurer by establishing that it breached an implied duty of good faith in the insurance contract.
- Appearing as junior counsel in a trial ancillary to international arbitration proceedings relating to the construction of a Chinese drilling ship.
- Represented clients successfully at a mediation spanning four days and involving over a dozen litigants to resolve the division of a significant farming estate.
Qualifications and Admissions:
- University of Otago (New Zealand), Bachelor of Laws, 2009-2012,
- Institute of Professional Legal Studies – 2013
- Admission as Barrister & Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand, 2013
- New Zealand Law Society Civil Litigation Skills, 2015
- Attorney at Law Cayman Islands, 2019