Hamid KhanbhaiSenior Associate
Written and oral advocacy is an important part of Hamid’s practice, in addition to advisory work. Prior to coming to the Cayman Islands, Hamid gained significant experience as a barrister in London, where he has appeared as sole and junior advocate in relation to a wide number of commercial disputes. In the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands, he represented bondholders holding US$140m of debt at a recent hearing relating to the US$4bn restructuring of an oil services group.
Hamid is admitted to the Bars of the Cayman Islands, the British Virgin Islands and England & Wales.
AREAS OF PRACTICE AND EXPERTISE:
Hamid acts for liquidators, creditors, shareholders, directors, managers and other professional service providers in litigation and in relation to a broad range of pre and post liquidation disputes.
Recent work includes:
- Advising bondholders holding US$140m of debt in relation to the US$4bn restructuring of a prominent oil services group by way of 4 inter-related schemes of arrangement. Hamid was sole representative of the bondholders at the convening hearing and the subsequent scheme meetings.
- Acting for the successful custodian and administrator in relation to a commercial claim for around US$2bn, which was brought by a fund that had placed its assets for investment with Bernard Madoff.
- Advising on a STAR Trust in connection with the restructuring of a Brazilian company with more than US$1.9bn of debt.
- Various section 238 ‘fair value’ petitions – advising the company or dissenters.
Hamid regularly publishes on issues relevant to insolvency, restructuring and investment fund litigation. He welcomes opportunities to speak at seminars and conferences.
Qualifications and Admissions:
- Magdalen College, University of Oxford – BA (Hons) Modern Languages (French and Spanish), 2004
- Princeton University – William Alexander Fleet Fellow, 2004-2005
- Magdalen College, University of Oxford – MSt History, 2006
- Graduate Diploma in Law – City University, 2010
- Bar Professional Training Course – City University, 2011
- Barrister admitted to the Bar of England and Wales, 2011 (practising)
- Attorney at Law Cayman Islands, 2015
- Barrister of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (British Virgin Islands), 2017
Professional and Associations:
- The Honourable Society of the Inner Temple
- COMBAR (Commercial Bar Association)